Pages

11 October 2015

#52Ancestors - Week 39 - Unusual

Week 39 (September 24-30) – Unusual: What is the most unusual record you’ve ever found? Or, who is the most unusual of your ancestors? (You can take that any way you want to!)

So once again I am behind in my blog - I've been finding work matters and getting ready for my big "genealogy trip" eating into my time in so many unplanned ways. But, with only one week until I leave, I thought I better try and catch up at least on one week.

So Unusual?

This week I'm going to focus on a name that only appears once on my tree - STOTT Joseph Webster. Born about 1820, he is the Father-in-Law of one of a first cousin four times removed. 

What does that look like on the tree?

Stott was christened on November 26, 1820, the son of William and Ann Esther Webster in the town of Birstall Yorkshire England.

In the 1841 census we find Stott, a Stone Cutter living on his own in the town of Gomersal Yorkshire (the next town over from Birstall)

Stott is such an unusual first name, that I can only find 7 men in the 1841 census who have that name - and surprisingly 4 of them (including "my" Stott) are from Yorkshire.

By 1891, there were more than 18 Stotts in the census, so the name was becoming more popular - but it was still a mostly concentrated in Yorkshire.

In 1844, Stott marries Ann Coates in Stockton Durham England

And then we see the family ebbing and flowing in the censuses until Stott passes away in 1897. They also seem to move constantly back and forth between Yorkshire and Durham - chasing work would be my guess.

1851

1861

1871

1881

1891
The children we find listed in the censuses are
John, Samuel William, Elizabeth Ann, Selina Sarah Mary Grace (M Grace), Robert Simeon Sykes, Margaret Jane, Joseph and Isabella

Selina Sarah Mary Grace married James Todd in 1870 - and that's how we add the Webster family into the tree.




No comments:

Post a Comment