Pages

8 March 2015

#FearlessFemales - Day 6 - Inheritance

Today's blogging prompt from Lisa Alzo's Fearless Females challenge is "inheritance"

March 6 — Describe an heirloom you may have inherited from a female ancestor (wedding ring or other jewelry, china, clothing, etc.) If you don’t have any, then write about a specific object you remember from your mother or grandmother, or aunt (a scarf, a hat, cooking utensil, furniture, etc.)

My Great Aunty Kitty sent me a ring many years ago. It is made seed pearls and turquoise. It is quite pretty - but as you can see, it was made for a much skinnier hand. It isn't worth all that much, but it there is a lot of sentiment behind it.


Aunty Kitty was born in Sunderland in 1908 and died there in 1999. She married Joe Johnston in 1935.

There is a lot of research I have to do about Aunty Kitty - apparently she and her sister Ellen (Nell) went to "Finishing School" in Switzerland. Aunty Kitty also lived a number of years in Canada. 

Aunty Kitty made two trips to Australia in her later years to visit my mother and also her brother Andy. It was quite an effort, as not only was she old (she had to get travel insurance through Lloyds of London as no-one else would insure her), she was also sight impaired, so travelling out here on a flight that takes nearly 24 hours was a feat in itself.

Aunty Kitty made a cassette recording for my mother of all the family stories she remembered. I still have the cassette and am hoping to get it copied to CD soon so I can transcribe it.

My sister was given a dress ring by our grandmother, Annie Dempsey who featured in my recent post about who I was named after



Our family didn't have much to leave, so these rings are quite precious heirlooms to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment