Pages

29 March 2015

#FearlessFemales - Day 30 - Words of Wisdom

March 30 — Did you receive any advice or words of wisdom from your mother or another female ancestor?

Mum had lots of wise words about self-worth, valuing your contribution, standing up for your rights and also protecting others, but today I'd thought I'd share some of the more creative things she used to say......

I think this saying was supposed to be designed to teach her children the difference between time and length, but I only recently understood it.

We'd ask: "How long 'til dinner?"


Her response: "How long's a piece of string?"



This one was about manners

We'd say: "I want.......:


Her response: "I want never gets, please may I have"

So then we'd say: "Please may I have....."


Her response: "No!"



Then there were the funny things:


"You know what he thought he did? He thought he wet his pants and when he looked, he hadn't"

- I never understood that one



"You can go swimming, but if you come home drowned, I'll kill you"



And the one I never heard any other family anywhere say:


"You know what happens when you hit your mother? Your hand waggles above your grave when you die!"


We loved that one the best - my sister has passed it on to her sons and my cousin to her daughter (who may well have passed it on to her son by now too)


No comments:

Post a Comment